Ginny in Mexico

Friday, November 24, 2006

Life in Guanajuato

Thursday, November 23rd

I have finished my 3rd of 4 days of class and I can tell that my Spanish has improved. I’ve been able to have decent conversations over meals with my host family and I had to do some writing today in one of my classes, and I was able to write almost an entire page, needing to look up only a few words! French words still pop into my vocabulary, and I fear that whatever French I did know is slowing being pushed into the deep recesses of my brain.

I’m not sure if I’ve talked before about the general eating patterns in Mexico. People eat breakfast (desayuna) at a time similar to us, early in the morning before heading to work or school. The main meal of the day is a late afternoon meal, called “comida”, meaning “food”. This takes place around 2:30 – 4:00 and usually involves people coming home from work or school to eat together before heading off to late afternoon activities or back to work. This meal is definitely the main one of the day. With the Alguilar family that I have been staying with, the husband comes home from work and usually one or two of the grown children come with their spouse and children. This event definitely showcases the Mexican family values. Late in the evening, 8:00 or 9:00 is cena (dinner). This is a light meal, just a little snack. This week I’ve actually enjoyed eating in this way, but it doesn’t work very well with my teaching schedule in Monterrey (a break for lunch at 11:30, and then not home until 4:30 or 5:00).

This week, I’ve been returning to my “home” after classes, getting back around 3:30. I then eat with the family before Abby and I have been heading out to do a little exploring. Yesterday we went to the Diego Rivera house and museum, and today we took the Funicular up to get a view of the city. Before coming to Mexico I didn’t know any Mexican artists, but am now at least a little familiar with the work of Diego Rivera and Frida Khalo (who was married to Diego). Frida Khalo is the Mexican woman with the very strongly defined unibrow. Of course there is much more to her, but that is just about all I know.

Here are some photos of Guanajuato from the top of the big hill:


The entire week I couldn't stop comparing the downtown area of Guanajuato to some of the European cities I had seen while travelling in the summer of 2005.


However, things always happen in Mexico that quickly remind me that I live in Mexico now. This picture captures one such event:

It's important that these things happen every once in a while. I periodically forget that I am living in a foreign country, trying to get by in another language and culture. My life in San Pedro in Monterrey has in some ways become so familiar that I find I forget where I really am. The donkeys in the streets, or loose cattle grazing beside (like a foot away from) the highway help keep me grounded.

Tomorrow afternoon, after classes and la comida, Abby and I will head to San Louis Potosi, about 3 hours ago. We will stay overnight there, do a little touring in the morning and then begin the 6 hour drive to Monterrey.

Less than one month until I’m home! Yippeee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home